Short Stories Bookshop & Community Hub is an independent community bookshop and arts and culture hub in charming, vibrant downtown Madison, New Jersey. Launched as a social entrepreneurship venture by Barb Short and her daughters in 2014 and Kickstarted by the community, we sit as a gateway into the heart of downtown Madison and into community experience and creative expression. Across from the town's indie coffee shop, top 100 jazz club, and historic crafts museum, we're walking distance from the NYC train, local schools and universities, great shops and restaurants, and an award-winning regional theatre.
Our big, open community space showcases leading authors and fosters local talent through community events, music jams, open mics, classes, workshops, book clubs, and art exhibits. We also host private meetings and events and invite daily creative expression on Johnny Guitar under the signature Short Stories Tree, or on our corner piano or blackboard and magnet walls.
We believe in a quiet corner and a good read. We also believe that tomorrow's leaders and citizens will make their marks best if they're nurtured and well rounded -- and that creating community and sharing art, thought and common interest feed our souls and yield magic, humanity and LOVE.
We’re grateful every time you:
- Buy and order your books at Short Stories
- Choose Short Stories for your personal party & school/company gift certificates
- Introduce us to publisher and authors looking for a great bookshop with a gorgeous space for large author events
- Rent our Community Space for your private or corporate parties, classes, or events
- Delight crowds with your musical and literary talents
- Hold a book club, reading, or storytime in our Community Space
- Read to your children on our sofa, or express yourself at open mics, on our piano, guitar, or chalkboard wall
- Foster citizenship among us – and the importance of quality literature, arts, and education
Join us anytime. See you soon.
– The Short Stories Team