I heard about a great book, but I can't find it in your store. Can you order it for me?
Absolutely, we order books for our customers all the time. There's no cost for shipping, and most books arrive in 2-3 days.
Do you have a membership program?
Indeed we do! Thanks for asking. Here are the levels of membership we offer.
Community Member: I want to support my local bookshop. $30 Annual Fee – receive your card and a $5 automatic coupon in our system for every $50 you spend, and receive 10% off during your birthday month!
Community Space Supporter: I want to help sustain & grow my local bookshop and its Community Space. $75+ Annual Fee – receive all benefits of a Community Member, a 15% discount on all space rentals and party fees, owner invitations and priority seating at special Short Stories events, and your name listed with our thanks in a Community Space Supporter listing on our website.
I’m a Supporter T-shirt: $25 for non-members, $15 for members and supporters (unlimited quantity).
Do you offer any discounts?
Yes! We offer 10% off to senior citizens, veterans and active-duty service members, and college students from Drew, College of St. Elizabeth and FDU. For all discounts, please show us the relevant ID to receive the discount before we ring up your purchase.
Our school/business/group is having an author visit. Can you handle the book sales?
Absolutely. Send an email to email@example.com and someone on our off-site events team will get in touch soon. Thanks for helping support your local independent bookstore!
Do you charge a fee for your events?
For standard booksiging events and talks we do not charge a fee, but we do ask that attendees purchase their books at Short Stories Bookshop. If you buy the book in advance, please just save your receipt for proof of purchase. Only books purchased at Short Stories can be signed by authors and illustrators at our events. Thanks so much for understanding!
Special one-off events might require a fee, and we'll be sure to make that very clear in our event listings.
I'm an author and I'd like you to carry my book. Who should I contact?
If your book is available through a publisher, let us know. If we think our customers will love it, we'll order it.
Short Stories Bookshop does carry a limited number of independently published books on a consignment basis to support local authors.
We ask that you do not come to the store in person offering your books for sale. Instead, please first email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a proposal. The proposal should include a brief summary of the book, book cover jpeg, your marketing/promotional plans, intended audience, and a brief author bio. Please include any reviews your book might have received too.
We consider each proposal and try to respond in a timely matter. Each book is considered as a part of our highly curated collection.
Terms of Consignment
If your book is to be placed at Short Stories Bookshop, we ask that you submit 3 books with an invoice.
- Short Stories Bookshop will pay 50% of list price
- Short Stories Bookshop agrees to display the book for a period of 3 months.
- The consignee is encouraged to promote and publicize their book and it’s placement at Short Stories Bookshop to help drive sales.
- During the consignment time, Short Stories Bookshop may contact the consignor for additional copies for sale, and/or to pay the consignor for items already sold.
- At the end of the consignment period, the consignee is responsible to contact Short Stories Bookshop to receive payment for sold books and/or retrieve any unsold copies.
- Consignment copies that are left at Short Stories Bookshop for more than 6 months will be donated to an organization of our choice.
- Short Stories Bookshop will only pay for books sold. Damaged or stolen copies are the responsibility of the consignee.